Friday 6 March 2015

The quilt that keeps on giving

M is for Mast & M is for Mckenzie is a quilt that keeps on giving. This is a very special quilt. The quirky alphabet stick figures were designed by renowned South Autralian quilt artisan Pam Holland. This particular quilt was made by my friend Margaret Sampson and was quilted by me in 2014. It is special because Margaret's husband did the inking and colouring of the stick figures. Sadly, he passed away before completing three of the blocks. Margaret's friends encouraged her to assemble the quilt and then she gave it to me to quilt. We decided to include the three unfinished blocks. As soon as I saw the finished quilt top I knew how I was going to quilt it. My inspiration came from Judi Madsen of Green Fairy Quilts. Margaret and I decided to enter the finished quilt in the 2014 Quilters' Guild of South Australia's Festival of Quilts. We were both extremely delighted to receive a first place award in the group category and the Excellence in Long arm Quilting award. We were later presented with the Viewers Choice award and advised that it had been selected to be included in The Best of Australia Exhibition at the 2015 Australian Quilt Convention in Melbourne, Victoria. Margaret has just advised me that the quilt will be showcased in a UK quilt magazine that will have a feature article on Pam Holland. That is one amazing quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment